Maximizing Efficiency at the Loading Dock
When loading dock operations are inefficient, it opens the door to problems such as reduced productivity, cargo or equipment damage, and on-site accidents. Follow these tips from Blue Giant to keep your workplace safer and more efficient.
1) IMPROVE AIRFLOW
Properly managed airflow makes employees more comfortable, which lifts morale, raises productivity, and improves health.
• The Blue Giant Eagle VI Series uses aerospace technology to move more air with less energy, keeping larger locations up to 15º F cooler during the summer months.
• To let in light and fresh air during warmer days while barring entry to pests, install Blue Giant Bug Screen Doors at the loading bay.
2) LIGHTEN THINGS UP
Lighting the inside of the trailer will improve dock productivity. An ideal lighting solution produces a balanced and optimal level of brightness inside the entire trailer. The Dock Light Fan will illuminate the dock area while moving over 3000 cubic feet of air per minute, contributing to climate stability inside the building.
3) DELIVER POWERED PERFORMANCE
Hydraulic or air-powered levelers that operate at the touch of a button are more efficient and lower-maintenance when compared with mechanical levelers, which require manual activation. The Blue Giant NextGen Hydraulic Dock Leveler has 8-10 enhanced J-beam channels welded to the underside of the deck at dynamic impact points to prevent distortion and extend the lifetime of the dock leveler. For added efficiency, combine the unit with a Blue Genius™ Gold Series I, which enables independent lip control.
4) SEPARATE PEDESTRIAN AND FORKLIFT TRAFFIC
An accident-free site is both productive and efficient. Installing industrial safety barriers protects people from workplace hazards such as forklift traffic, moving equipment parts, and the drop zone.
• Blue Giant Folding Security Gates control safe access to the warehouse while allowing light and air to circulate.
5) GET THE RIGHT SEQUENCE
To ensure safety and efficiency, all dock equipment at the loading bay must operate in the proper order. Incorrect sequencing can potentially lead to injury and equipment damage, so install a combination control panel to maximize productivity and minimize downtime.
• The Blue Genius™ Platinum Series Master Control Panel operates an entire loading dock system from one convenient location, improving safety and productivity while reducing electrical costs and optimizing wall space.
6) INSTALL ADVANCED LIGHT COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS
Interior and exterior traffic lights communicate safety conditions to the truck driver and dock personnel simultaneously, allowing loading, unloading, and vehicle departure to take place smoothly and safely.
• The TLC24-A Light Communication Package consists of LED indoor and outdoor traffic lights. It can be interlocked with a dock leveler, vehicle restraint, or overhead door for automatically controlled performance.
• The Blue Genius™ Gold Series I, II, and III have an advanced light communication feature (optional on the Gold Series I) that sends safety signals to dock staff and truck drivers.
7) INSTALL VERTICAL STORING LEVELERS
Blue Giant Vertical Storing Dock Levelers improve loading dock efficiency by allowing truck drivers to back right up to the dock bumpers without having to get out and open the trailer doors first. This type of ‘drive-thru’ application improves efficiency and minimizes energy loss.
8) USE VEHICLE RESTRAINTS
Wheel chocks can take time to position, and they create safety issues when misaligned. Powered vehicle restraints secure the trailer’s ICC bar at the touch of a button and hold it securely from start to finish.
• The StrongArm™ SVR303 delivers efficiency and security to loading dock operations. A barrier-style restraint arm uses passive engagement keep an ICC bar secured, resulting in less wear and tear and a lower lifetime cost of ownership.
A well-run loading dock prevents delays, minimizes accidents, and increases customer satisfaction. By emphasizing efficiency at all times, businesses can cut costs and realize significant gains. For more information on our Blue Giant product offerings, contact us today!